Sport England has launched a final consultation as it prepares to publish a new 10-year strategy in January 2021.
A new online platform has gone live this week and will remain open for the next month, with Coalition supporters being encouraged to sign up and have their say.
The platform will host a series of engagement opportunities including surveys, workshops and webinars to take a deeper look at the major themes of the strategy.
More than 60 organisations attended our recent consultation event with Sport England, which is one of three funders and supporters of the Coalition alongside Comic Relief and Laureus Sport for Good.
After almost 18 months of research and consultation, Sport England’s new 10-year strategy will set out its mission and goals for the next decade.
Looking back over an “unprecedented year” which has seen the Covid-19 pandemic blight the sport and physical activity sector, Sport England CEO Tim Hollingsworth said: “Even before the pandemic, we were acutely aware that we needed a new way of doing things.
“We believe sport and physical activity has a significant role to play in improving the physical and mental health of the nation, supporting the economy and reconnecting communities.”
The language of the strategy is still being finalised, but it will focus on five major themes, which are:
- Recover and reinvent: recovering from the biggest shock to the status quo in a lifetime and reinventing as a vibrant and sustainable network of organisations providing sport and physical activity opportunities that meet the needs of different people.
- An active life for a healthy life: strengthening the connection between sport and physical activity and health and wellbeing, to enable more people to live an active life so they can live and age well.
- Positive experiences for children and young people: unrelenting focus on positive experiences as the foundations for an active life.
- Strengthening communities: focusing on sport and physical activity’s ability to create greater community development and social integration.
- Active environments: creating the places and spaces that make it easier for people to be active.